Now that I am actively dating in an attempt to avoid reconciling with PR, hooking up with FM, or pining over LP, I am figuring out pretty quickly what I do and do not like.
Do not like:
- men who are too responsive or available
- men who focus only on my “beauty”
- men who ask very early: “why are you on this site”
- men with too many pets
- men with too few hobbies
- men who use the word “freedom” in their profiles as something they can’t live without (tell your story walking, tea partier)
- men whose entire reading lists were high school lit classics
- men with interesting hair
- men whose profile pictures contain photos of their children
- men who are excessively overweight
- men who are excessively tattooed
- men who comment on something specific
- men who remember what I’ve said is my favorite restaurant, dish, etc., and then invite me to that specific place
- men who understand I am dating other people
- men who have an idea of what they want
- men who are enthusiastic about something, anything
There is a balance among characteristics that I find attractive: handsome vs brilliant vs well-educated vs interesting career vs successful vs funny vs great personality vs emotionally open.
It’s hard to say who I find attractive. Age doesn’t matter. Level of educational achievement doesn’t matter. Looks don’t matter. Meaning none of them matter entirely and all of them matter a bit.